Homeowners are always looking for ways to add more comfort and beauty to their homes. One of the common ways to achieve this is by constructing an outdoor space. Building a deck can be a complex project with some parts harder than others. So, they are hardly a project to be handled by an inexperienced person.
In this article, we answer the question of what is the hardest part about building a deck.
What should you not do when building a deck?
Building a deck can be simple and easy when every stage of the process is done properly. The following are some of the things to avoid when building a deck. For more information, please visit rhodeislanddeckbuilders.com.
A project poorly planned often ends in disaster. Deck building requires more than wood beams, screws, deck boards, and beams; it takes a lot of planning. In fact, it is safe to say that proper planning is one of the hardest parts of building a deck. Proper planning will help to prevent poor construction, code violations, and unforeseen expenses that could make you spend beyond your budget.
While you could draw up your plan yourself, there may be some intricacies that only a professional contractor can understand. So, it is best that you engage the service of a reputable deck building contractor to help with the planning to make your life easier.
Wrong choice of materials
There are many material choices you can go for when building your deck and none of these materials is always suitable for all conditions. For example, composite decking may not be your best option if you’re planning to move out of your home in 5 years. Also, if you live in a neighborhood that’s very shady, you shouldn’t go for a light gray or low-quality composite material. Otherwise, you will always have to battle mold issues.
So, adequate research is important when building a deck. Again, the safest way out of this is to let a professional contractor handle the project. They will help you make an informed decision on your material choice by letting you know the pros and cons of each.
Building a deck on the wrong foundation is one of the worst mistakes you can make as a homeowner. The footers on which they are built must be right and deep enough to hold the deck. So, you want to have a good understanding of the property grade and soil type before building your deck. Succinctly put, know what’s required by code.
Ledger board installation
It has been estimated by some that deck separation from the house accounts for about 90% of deck collapses. This is usually caused by ledger boards that have been poorly installed. You definitely don’t want to add to the statistics.
You want to make sure that the ledger board is attached with the right hardware. This is equally important for the flashing.
Hiring the right contractor for your deck construction
While you may want to attempt building your deck by yourself, this is never advised even for the seemingly simplest deck design. The following are some of the reasons to engage the service of a professional deck contractor:
- There are even codes that guide deck construction. These codes often go through frequent modifications and you may not be able to keep up with them. A professional deck builder is often familiar with these codes and their changes. Of course, failure to follow these codes comes with consequences.
- Many manufacturers have the policy of voiding your warranties on their products if not installed by a certified professional or the installation doesn’t meet all expected specifications. A deck builder will ensure that this doesn’t happen.
- Professional deck builders can help you get materials at the best prices because they have connections with suppliers in the industry.
- Having built a lot of decks, professional deck builders have gathered the skill to complete the deck project without compromising quality.
- There’s the risk of ending up with an unstable deck when not built by a professional deck builder. Working with one will ensure that the deck is stable and safe.
Building a deck doesn’t have to be difficult if the right things are put in place. While there are many things that can make the project hard, most of the problems are solved with proper planning. However, attempting to build a deck yourself is not likely to get you the best result as there are parts that only a professional can get right.
So, you want to work with a reputable deck builder. This will take a lot of stress off you and guarantee the best outcome for your deck construction. Ensure that you verify the deck builder’s ability to get the job done by checking their ratings online from sources like the Better Business Bureau.