WHY YOUR ASSESSMENT MAY HAVE CHANGED
There are several factors that affect real estate assessments:
- Sales in the neighborhood.
- Economic factors such as average number of days homes have been for sale and sales volume.
- Improvements to the property (remodeling, additions).
- New construction and rezoning.
- Property characteristics, such as size, age, condition and amenities.
ASSESSMENTS ARE NOT A BILL
The real estate assessment notice is not a bill. Most homeowners pay real estate tax as part of a monthly mortgage payment. Your mortgage company then sends the taxes directly to Fairfax County. However, some homeowners pay their real estate taxes directly (due July 28 and Dec. 5). Contact your mortgage company if you are not sure how your taxes are paid.
Here’s a sample assessment notice you’ll receive in the mail.
The Tax Levy is an Estimate
The estimated tax levy shown on your assessment notice is just that —